Saturday, June 12, 2010

simplicity and work

"Simplicity (as greater directness, clarity, and unpretentiousness) can transform our approach to work in a variety of ways. . . . First, our relationship with our work is enormously simplified when our livelihood makes a genuine contribution both to ourselves and to the human family. It is through our work that we find opportunity to develop our skills, relate with others in shared tasks, and contribute to the larger society. If our work is directly contributory, it can be a source of great satisfaction and great learning. It was Thomas Aquinas, I think, who said: 'There can be no joy of life without joy of work.' Our relationship with our work is enormously simplified when we move from an intention of 'making a killing for myself' to that of 'earning a living in a way that contributes to the well-being of all.' . . . . Without the clarifying frame of reference provided by sensing the contribution of our work to the well-being of the world, it is immensely more difficult to find satisfaction and fulfillment in our work."

-- Duane Elgin, Voluntary Simplicity: Toward a Way of Life that is Outwardly Simple, Inwardly Rich

"There can be no joy of life without joy of work."  hmmmmm.......

cups of coffee: 2 1/2

mood: sleeeeeeepy

1 comment:

Unknown said...

excellent advice on turning 30. I think your right, however..IF you are right, that means I had Kayla when I was 16. hmmmmmm....scandalous :) I like it