in preparation for my move back across the pacific, i thankfully only have a few items to sell. my brother and sister-in-law are moving into my apartment, and they kindly decided to buy all my furniture and most of my appliances from me. which means i only have a handful of big things that need to be sold, namely a printer and a mini-trampoline.
while placing my items for sale on a popular classifieds site here, i couldn't help but read through the personal ads - this website has some of the funniest, most outlandish, but sadly real personals. here are a few that caught my eye:
It's raining and i am bored.
I like playing cards, you?
seek a tall and fun person.
(what exactly is the correlation between raining, playing cards and height...?)
I am a nice guy. I am bored and alone in Shanghai. I am normal.
Yet, I am lonely in Shanghai and would like to have an "exciting" conversation with someone.
If you are bored, and want some excitement, please feel free to give me a call AnyTime.We can have an "erotic" conversation if you like, or we can talk about the weather.
("erotic" or the weather. huh. "what are you wearing?" "boy, i wish it would stop raining already.")
I like to find a great girl/women who like to leave China together with me when I go back to Europe.
(hmmm.....i like europe....)
as funny as these ads are to read, they were penned by real people, individuals lonely and starving for love and connection in this massive city. i shouldn't forget that.
the hard thing about leaving a place isn't the packing. it isn't the purging of stuff and figuring out what to do with years of belongings amassed. it's the relationships, the people and community i've come to love and cherish. there aren't enough hours in a day to spend with these people i love, not enough words adequate to express my sincere appreciation for who they are, and all the hopes and blessings i am praying for them. all my articulations and gestures seem to fall short of what i really mean and what i wish i could put words to.
so i smile and hug, use words like "love", and hope that somehow, these dear friends feel the intangible deep from my heart.
cups of coffee: 2
mood: fare thee well.....
No comments:
Post a Comment