Monday, May 10, 2010

the goethe project

an acquaintance of mine posted on her facebook this lovely quote from johann wolfgang von goethe:

"One should...listen to a little song, read a good poem, or look at a fine painting every single day, and if possible say something sensible about it."

she changed her blog's title to "the goethe project", vowing to commit 40 days to writing thoughtful, reflective, intentional posts as a way to build a creative ritual. the hope is, of course, that the practice doesn't end with the 40 days but continues as a lifelong habit.

inspiring. a couple of other friends have attempted the 30 days of creativity, forcing their hand literally to create something each day for 30 days.

i am the worst at discipline. the best at visualizing discipline, the worst at actual realization. i start with the truest intentions but somewhere along the way i always get terribly distracted, busy, bored, and honestly, just plain lazy.

there are just too many things i long to learn--not just learn, but be really good at. i want to knit. i want to flamenco dance. i want to speak italian. and that's just the tip of a ridiculously long list of things i've already studied and abandoned: french, violin, belly dancing, boxing...

add on top of that other essentials such as work, personal relationships, keeping up on current events, reading for pleasure, exercise, sleeping, eating....forget it. all i want to do is curl up on the couch, turn my brain on auto-pilot, and pop in a "seinfeld" dvd.

perhaps i should attempt "the goethe project" as well. life has been insane with a capital IN, but maybe it's in the midst of insanity that the need for discipline is even more imperative. besides the lovely quote stated above, goethe also spouted the following quote - similar concept with more of an "oomph":

"A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul."

(goethe penned many gems - more here)

to not obliterate the sense of the beautiful...perhaps that's a key to true rest. it's not about withdrawing from the world and retreating into my cocoon--i've done that before and still felt tired. maybe it's about satisfying my soul with beauty, feasting and savoring in such a way that my heart feels fed and my body restored. to be reminded of the beauty that does flourish in this world, of the goodness and light that triumph in a world shadowed by despair. to know that everything will turn out all right: there is beauty and joy to be experienced now, and even more to come that we will one day celebrate. it is to see the beauty implanted in our soul and how that reflects the Beauty of the One who placed it there. to gaze into that Ultimate Beauty and be content.

ok. so, 30 days of deliberate beauty and sensibility. here goes.


cups of coffee: 1

mood: spring! spring! spring!

3 comments:

therooddog said...

I think you're too hard on yourself. I'm not trying to be overly competitive but I'm pretty sure that I have you beat when it comes to "actual realization".

I'm looking forward to more frequent postings.

therooddog said...

... oh that reads a little funny now that I see it posted (this is why I so rarely comment on these blasted things). I mean to suggest that you are more productive than I am. But I definitely visualize more than I'm able to do. The thing I dream of doing? woodworking - making furnature. The second one, equally weird, horseback riding. Ever since reading "The Last American Man" I've wanted to learn how to ride a horse.

eva said...

I love that you comment on my blog! Thanks.
Ooh, horseback riding... Add that to my list as well. :)